Carbonal Gaea 29er:
- Chinese 29er xc race frame, 19", 1200grams
- Most parts from my Niner
- Usually ridden rigid, raced with suspension
- 20.2lbs rigid, 21.8lbs geared
- Brilliant frame, handles great, looks great,versatile with the EBB and gear hanger, but not the lightest frame.
- Always ran rigid, the fork which is supplied is great, confidence inspiring and rides lovely.
- Jeff Jones Ti Loop bar, quirky & odd looking, but performs amazingly, they work so well when riding single speed, I use ESI Chunky Grips, they are more hard wearing than people think.
- Wheels, I use a mixture of Hope and Chris King hubs on NoTubes Crest rims back wheels, single speed specific hubs mean a stronger wheel and a better look. Hope front hubs on the same rims, light and easy to service.
- Hope X2 Brakes, usually very good, but often require servicing.
- Thomson finishing kit, look great and always used them, Selle Italia saddle, rock hard but comfortable for hours.
I bought the frame after graduating from uni and getting a proper job. it really is amazing, it handles well and its very comfortable. I used it fully rigid for over a year and competed in several 12hour and 100mile races.
- Rock Shox Sid XX forks with remote lock-out, great forks but they only worked properly after having them tuned by TF Tuned, its amazing how a brand new fork from the factory has almost dry seals and sticky stanchions.
- At the end of the 2012 season I started racing with gears, 1 x 9 suits me fine but I will move to 1 x 10 or 1 x 11 but I like to keep cost to a minimum and 9 speed is cheap
- Hope X2 race brakes, i've found these better than the normal X2, they have a better bite point, look smart and are very light.
- Again Thomson finishing kit, partly due to the length of post I need. Enve bars are a luxury but I bought them when wide carbon bars were in short supply
- Fizik Gobi saddle, slightly more padding for longer races
Planet X Team Alu road bike, my first road bike, seemed great value for money, since changed to Hope Pro 3/Mavic Open Pro Wheels